Monday, June 16, 2014

Song of the Week #2

Artist: Kaori Mizumori (水森かおり)
Title: Hitori Nagaragawa (ひとり長良川)
Genre: Enka, traditional Japanese ballad (演歌)

I first heard this song on the Kouhaku Uta Gassen (紅白歌合戦), which is a huge music program aired annually on New Year's Eve. It features all of the big acts in the Japanese music world - both past and present - making it the perfect primer for someone unfamiliar with the music of Japan.

I have to be honest... I don't really know that much about Japanese music. I'm not much of a pop culture person in general,  but when I heard this song the relatively simple opening lyrics and unique falsetto caught my attention. Although the popularity of this type of music has declined in the past decades, the sound of enka music is regarded as timeless!



My goal is to learn this song before I go to Japan in August... so I can impress my future co-workers at karaoke!

More Kaori Mizumori!

Kaori Mizumori - Ise Meguri (伊勢めぐり)
Kaori Mizumori - Aki no Miyajima (安芸の宮島)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Praise? Let me know!