Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Song of the Week #3

I meant to post the Song of the Week earlier today, but I was distracted by the sunshine and cool breeze! The rest of the week looks like rain though, so I can give my writing the attention it deserves. :)

Artist: Mondo Grosso feat. Monday Michiru
Title: Star Suite
Genre: Spoken word



This week's song is a collaboration between two artists: Monday Michiru, a Japanese-American artist, does the vocals and Shinichi Osawa (a.k.a. Mondo Grosso) provides the cool, jazzy instrumentation.

I've found that spoken word can either be really great or horribly cheesy... it's definitely not a genre for everyone. Great spoken word tracks will take you on a short journey.

They tell a story, you get lost in it, and come back again and again to experience the same thing.

I chose this track because it allows both artists' strengths to shine through. You get to hear the signature bossa-nova/lounge sound of Mondo Grosso and the sultry vocals of Monday Michiru.

Even though it's over sixteen minutes long (yes, 16!) it never becomes tedious to listen to. Verses are punctuated with soulful choruses and upbeat interludes that keep the listener wondering what will come next.

Happy listening!


My other favorite spoken word tracks!
Nujabes feat. Pase Rock - Sign
FlicFlac - Hope
Shing02 - 星の王子様 (The Little Prince)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Praise? Let me know!