Thursday, October 4, 2012

03. Settling In

Eeeeek, it's been almost a month since I last posted. I had no idea maintaining a blog would be this difficult. I'm always thinking about interesting things to post, but I never get around to actually typing anything. Whoops.

It's hard to believe that it's been over a month since I arrived in Japan. At this point, I can definitely say I've settled in and adjusted to life in Tokyo. Unlike being back home though, I don't feel like I'm stuck into a routine yet. Although I am plagued with homework for 5 classes (18 credits worth... 6 days a week... bleh...) I'm still getting to try new things on a weekly basis. That being said, I plan on taking fewer courses next semester so I can do more exploring.

Since starting school here, I feel like I've entered into some kind of weird time paradox. Tokyo is indeed a city that never sleeps, but although I attend class, have club practice, run errands, participate in dormitory events / chores and spend an inordinate amount of time doing homework.... I can't help but feel that my life has slowed down at the same time. I have crazy, long days but I enjoy the process of it all because it's so different and new.

There are a lot of things I've begun to appreciate about my life back home since being in Japan.

For example, I cook for myself 3 times a day (almost) 7 days a week. I was so used to the convenience of the dining hall at school and the well-stocked fridge and pantry at home that I didn't realize how much planning it takes to feed yourself. I share a small fridge with my roomie, so I can't buy a week's worth of food at a time, so as a result I go grocery shopping 2-3 times a week. The closest major grocery store (which is also by the nearest station) it's a 30 minute round-trip by bike, so I have to plan in advance when I need to go since I'm usually busy with class until 7:00 pm some nights.

(side note: There are convenience stores close to campus, but it's hard to eat well on a 7/11 diet! That being said, the selection of food in the convenience stores here is impressive, and there are wayyyy healthier options than in the US).

typical lunch: steamed cabbage, brown rice with furikake, spicy tofu

The upside is that I consider cooking one of my hobbies, so I always enjoy these breaks in my hectic schedule where I can just stop and do something for myself. The kitchen in my dorm is a popular place to socialize, and spots at the table are often full around mealtime. Getting into a habit of cooking for myself has also given me a new awareness about the foods I consume, and as a result I've been eating a lot healthier! The bike ride to the station is also a decent workout. ;)

There are some things I'm still not quite used to yet... like the group showers, the smaller portions at restaurants and all of the customs surrounding shoes in buildings. I'm already thinking about the subtle changes that I'm making to my behavior and normal habits and I wonder how I'll feel once I return home having totally embraced my Japanese lifestyle. I suppose that's a question better left for next year.

As for now, my goal is to update at least once a week for the remainder of the month and *hopefully* get around to posting some pictures that I've neglected up until now!

じゃ、また。

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Praise? Let me know!